Saturday, February 21, 2009

WARNING: Extremely Barfy Post To Follow (Sorry)

Did you ever wake up one morning and realize that the saying about "other half" is really true? I just did. I was thinking about the early days of Bruce and Renae. Back then I was miserable.
We've come a long way. We started off WAY too young and stupid to be married. I spent a couple of years wishing I could just get a divorce, but I couldn't make myself feel like it was the right thing to do. (I knew that one big mistake had led me to that completely miserable state of being, so I knew that making another big mistake wouldn't make me feel better. I felt trapped and damned.) One day I decided to trust in the Lord and do what I felt He wanted me to do (even though I couldn't imagine how anything good could come from it, at the time) which was to try to make my marriage work. Next came peace of mind. Things got better by degrees. Bruce and I started to get along, and little by little I started to not only like but love my husband. Then came our children who cemented the idea that we were a family, and permanent. It took YEARS for me to stop wondering "what if." I've been a happily married woman for a long time now, but the "better by degrees" is still in effect. Things get better and better all the time. It takes work, and a mutual effort of trying to make the other person happy. I just woke up and realized that Bruce is an integral part of who I am. We go together "like peas and carrots." He's the perfect match for me after all. Who'd a thunk it?

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

I don't think it's a "barfy" post. I think it is a wonderful story of trusting in the Lord. I would never have guessed you both were having so many problems such a long time ago because I agree....you two were meant for each other.

Mary said...

Renae, this is NOT a barfy post! I am the queen of knowing what is barfy, and this is NOT. This is a great post. I think that so many people think that IF the person they are with would change, THEN their life will get better. Or they think that the only way to fix the problem they have is to walk (or run) away from it. But I like that you said that one mistake had made you miserable, and that 2 mistakes would probably make you twice as miserable. Now, I am not the relationship queen. In fact I have found myself getting increasingly snippy at my husband, and I know it's not right. But sometimes people need to be reminded that our marriages are what we make them, that we can go through rough (or REALLY rough) patches, but we can work through it (with God's help), come out the other side and be way better for it. Awesome post. Also, I'm sure that Bruce likes knowing you're glad you stuck the tough times out.

Eyepoke said...

pUKE! wRETCH! GAG! HACK! eMMISIS! vOMIT! REGURGITATION! RAAAALPH! sPEW CHUNKS ALL OVER THE PLACE! yACK! tHROWING UP NOW IN PROGRESS, THANKS!

But, that having been said, I have to say that I agree with Jeanette and Mary- it's not barfy.

timpani76 said...

I seriously thought you were going to talk about your kids having the stomach flu or something when I read your title.

Only John would think true romance was barfy ;) It's nice to know that other couples go through rough patches, and come out alive!

Dana Cheryl said...

Great post Renae! It's nice to hear about folks working through the hard times.

Like Timpani I thought this post would reference real barf. I'm thinking back to the snot picture. lol!

Trever and Heather said...

I also loved this post. I wish I could convince one of my friends of those facts about marriage- but I think she just might be the type of person who would be miserable no matter who she was with.