Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Does Everybody Know About This?

This is totally cool! I've been a library patron forever. I frequent all of the libraries in the area, because they all have different things. They probably get really annoyed with me for returning 30 or so items to the wrong libraries on a regular basis. I don't go to the same library twice in a row, hardly. Of course I know that you can request things from the other libraries anytime, but I've never done it because I don't want the bother of bothering other folks with my requests. Yes, I know that they have interconnected catalogs at all of the libraries, but I am a dork, and I hate to use them at the library, because I have 4 children who are running around all the while, which makes using the computer there somewhat hard to do. I hate to bother people. I don't know why, but I'd almost cut off my own foot before I asked someone else to trim their toe nails. So, what I've been doing forever is this: I have a basic knowledge of where everything is in most of the libraries, so I just travel to all of the libraries and look on the shelves for what I want. Sometimes I find what I want, and often I don't, at which point I sigh a disappointed sigh and go on my way, without asking anybody for help. Silly, yes, but that's me. What I didn't know is that you can do it online! I don't have to bother anybody! They have a catalog online so you can see who has what in all of the libraries, then all you have to do is click, and they send it! So, the next time that I go to the library (the one that is 5 minutes down the road!) I don't have to look for what I want! They will have exactly what I want (stuff that I've been looking for unsuccessfully for a long time, and stuff that I didn't know was out there) behind the desk! Oh what joy!!! I've already requested six things from other libraries (since last night), and I have a list in my head of many more things that I want to request, but I can only use so many things at a time. Maybe I've been living in a hole, not to know that you could do this. Maybe I'm a dork for getting so excited about it, but to me, this is really cool! I've been sick of all of the inventory of all of the libraries in a 20 mile radius for a while. Yay, Yay, hooray! I don't have to travel to the far corners of the earth to get what I want anymore. Mamie and Miranda may never see me again at their library! Actually, I'm sure I'll still go to all of the libraries that I do, I love different things about them, and my kids like to go to the different ones. But I don't have to look fruitlessly anymore! Okay, I'll shut up now. Yes, I am pathetic.

No comments: